Thanksgiving was just under a week ago and I am still feeling all the wonderful feelings of the holiday! You know: the joy of spending time with family mixed with the stress of spending time with family, the joy of getting to over eat without being judged for it, the thrill of carrying around a food baby, but most importantly the authentic atmosphere of thankfulness. I am reminded during this holiday season every year that being thankful is something I lack far too often. Not to say that outside of this specific time of year I have nothing to be thankful for, just that I fail miserably at taking time to be thankful unless I am reminded to do so by a national holiday. This lack of everyday thankfulness tends to lead me to be ungrateful for the blessings I have in my life. Hopefully you do not struggle with this mentality as well, but if you do here is some encouragement I have found in the Word that might help you too!
- We should be giving thanks for who He is
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 – Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 7:17 – I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.
- The Lord is always good and righteous, and always deserving of our thanks
- We should be giving thanks because it is His will for us
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 – Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- When we are one with Christ though the salvation of His sacrifice, God’s will for us is to give thanks in all circumstances and at all times
God is the provider in times of need, comforter in times of loss and loneliness, and shows us unconditional love though we are undeserving of it. By giving thanks to Him regularly we will consistently be reminded of all the He does for us. Not a single day goes by that He does not give us a reason to be thankful. He is deserving of our thanks always and it is His will for us to exalt Him in all circumstances. Take time to bring praise to God for what He has done, is doing, and will do because it will change your outlook on life in an amazing way!